If you are considering hiring a roofing contractor, it is important to do your research and ask the right questions. This will help you to avoid hiring a contractor who is not trustworthy. Unfortunately, in our business there are a lot of snakes out there and storm chasers who come from other cities and will try to rip you off.
There are a number of reasons the roofing industry has a bad reputation such as:
- Predatory practices: Some roofing contractors use predatory practices to pressure homeowners into making a quick decision, such as offering free roof inspections or repairs. They may also try to take advantage of homeowners who are in a hurry to get their roof repaired after a storm.
- Poor workmanship: Some roofing contractors do not do a good job of installing or repairing roofs. This can lead to leaks, damage to the home, and safety hazards.
- Unlicensed or uninsured contractors: Some roofing contractors are not licensed or insured. This means that if something goes wrong with the work, you may not be able to get your money back or sue for damages.
- High-pressure sales tactics: Some roofing contractors use high-pressure sales tactics to convince homeowners to buy a new roof that they may not need. They may also try to add on unnecessary or overpriced extras.
- Negative reviews: If you do a search online, you may find negative reviews about some roofing contractors. These reviews can be a red flag that the contractor is not reputable.
Questions to Ask A Roofing Contractor
The roofing industry is a large and diverse industry, and there are both ethical and unethical contractors within it. However, there are also many ethical roofing contractors who provide quality workmanship and customer service. These contractors are committed to doing the right thing and providing their customers with the best possible experience.
Avoid hiring a contractor who is not trustworthy.
Here are some important questions you should ask a roofing contractor before hiring them:
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured? This is essential to protect yourself in case something goes wrong.
- How long have you been in business? A reputable contractor will have a long track record of satisfied customers.
- What kind of roofing materials do you use? There are many different types of roofing materials available, so it’s important to choose one that is right for your home’s climate and needs.
- What is your warranty? A good warranty will protect you against defects in materials or workmanship.
- Can I see some of your past work? This is a great way to get an idea of the contractor’s quality of work.
- What is your price? Get quotes from several contractors before making a decision.
- What is your timeline? When will the work be done?
- What are your payment terms? How will you be paying for the work?
- What happens if there are any problems? How will the contractor address any problems that arise?
In addition to these general questions, you may also want to ask specific questions about your roof, such as:
- What is the condition of my roof? Do I need a full roof replacement or just repairs?
- What is the best type of roofing material for my home?
- How long will the new roof last?
- What kind of maintenance will my new roof need?
By asking these questions, you can be sure that you are hiring a qualified and reputable roofing contractor who will do a good job on your roof.
Feel free to give us a call to setup your roof inspection and ask us these very questions. Our reputation proves we are an ethical company, doing the right thing by homeowners in South Bend, In and surrounding areas.